An alternative to 'Where have you been? Where are you going next?' etc yawn yawn...
The inspiration for numerous questions.
"Everyone asks the same travelling Qs: Where are you from? Where are you going? How long? Ask something different & we'll re-tweet the best."
After a few months of backpacking the standard introductory backpacker questions definitely become repetititive, so it's good to vary things up by asking a few alternative questions. STA Travel UK's tweet drew a number of interesting suggestions for questions to ask on your travels, and I've featured the best suggestions below...
1) "If you had to pick one place you've travelled to settle down & live where would it be? #travel"
2) "What's the BEST new food you have tried?"
3) "Who's the most interesting person you've met on your travels?"
4) "Knowing what you know now, if you could give yourself one piece of advice before you started travelling what would it be?"
5) "What made you get up and leave everything behind?"
6) "How will you ever be satisfied with a normal life when it's over?"
7) "Is there anything you regret leaving behind?"
8) "Many people say 'I wish I could.' What made you say 'I will'?"
9) "Travel guides: hard copy or e-book?"
10) "Where can I buy a travel guide ebook dedicated to Haad Rin on the tropical island of Koh Phangan?"
I have to admit I made that last one up, but if you were curious as to where you could buy a copy of the Haad Rin Guide Book, then the banner ad below will take you to the download page...
If anyone else has any other suggestions for non-standard questions to ask other backpackers, then feel free to leave a comment below.